Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What is this I hear about Blu-ray being a money-grabbing company?

I read somewhere that we shouldn't purchase Blu-ray discs - that they exist just to claim to be of higher quality, and to sell at high prices. Is this true?



I've seen comparisons of DVD and Blu-ray images, and I must say it's quite different. But are Blu-ray discs over priced? Should I wait for the next generations of purchasable film?What is this I hear about Blu-ray being a money-grabbing company?
Unfortunately I have a Blu-Ray player and haven't watched any Blu-Ray DVDs on it yet because I am into foreign films and most aren't out on Blu-Ray.. The good American films that are on Blu-Ray I've already seen.. In my situation it was not worth the money, but hopefully in the long run it will be.
It's a new technology, and as is usually the case, is expensive at first. I expect as the prices of the players fall and the range of Blu-ray discs available increases, there will be a greater uptake of the technology - and disc prices will fall.



I also expect Blu-ray will be the last time we'll be buying discs, downloads will be the way in the future.What is this I hear about Blu-ray being a money-grabbing company?
First, Blu-ray isn't a company, it's a standard supported by lots of companies.



Of course Blu-ray discs are overpriced, which is why I've only bought two, the rest I rent from Netflix. That's the nature of any new media.



But there is an enormous difference between Blu-ray and DVD. The picture contains six times as many pixels (1920x1080 vs. 720x480). DVDs look fuzzy, Blu-ray looks like you're at the theater.



Don't wait for the next generation, it will be years, and will probably be a 3D version of Blu-ray.What is this I hear about Blu-ray being a money-grabbing company?
BluRay is "Sony".



There is no 'claim', BluRay contains HD video.



Sony charges licensing fees for each disk and they are a company trying to make money. (Every business tries to do this).



Sony did some sleazy things like:



- Bribe studios to abandon the competing HD-DVD format

- Jack up the prices on players the week after HD-DVD gave up.



But if you have an HDTV - it's the best way to buy movies.
Everyone said the same thing when the DVD first came out, price was at $24.95 and up. The price of Blue ray disc will drop as more consumer upgrade to the new technology. Or you can wait till it drops to enough the better quality and sound that Blue Ray disc movies offers. Fry's Electronics offer Blue Ray Disc movies on sale at times for $9.99 and that's when I stock up to replace my old dvd collection.
Whatever it was that you read... I'd stop reading if I were you. It is worthless.



Blu-ray DVDs do cost a little more however, it yields a MUCH better picture and many of us consider it worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment